Sunday, October 28, 2012

Examples of Persuasive Articles

Here are some great examples of persuasive articles, any of which would fit the criteria for the Essay #2 assignment.  The first article is from 1977 and contains one of the examples in our rhetorical appeals handout.  The rest are from the opinion pages of the websites I've suggested. Skim through the articles and see if they spark your interest; if not, let the articles lead you to other articles on their pages. At the end if this post I've also included websites for you to search.

"The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood" by Terry Martin Hekker

"Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" by Mitt Romney

"Why I am Pro-Life" by Thomas L. Friedman

"2008 Called.  It Wants to Know What Happened to Barack Obama" by John Cook

"Charts: Women Are Backing Obama by the Binderful" by Dave Gilson

"Mugging Our Descendants" by George F. Will

"It's Time to Allow Doping in Sport" by Ellis Cashmore

"Should Doping Be Allowed?" Room for Debate Forum

"Who Says There Is No Solution to Bullying?" by Becky Cohn-Vargas


cnn.com
nytimes.com
washingtonpost.com
motherjones.com
huffingtonpost.com
salon.com
sltrib.com
deseretnews.com
standard.net

12 comments:

  1. Another great website is www.creators.com It has general opinion articles, conservative articles and liberal articles. Definitely worth looking into for an opinionated source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I checked out the website, it helped a ton.

      Lauren Farr

      Delete
  2. I think the article "Let Detroit go bankrupt" is interesting. Romney seems to be another Dave Ramsey in my mind

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys should all check out and read the article, "It's Time To Allow Doping in Sports." It was a great article. I want to hear you're opinion on it. Whether you agree with his statement or not.

    Lauren Farr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not agree with it, i think it's wrong unless every athlete has access and the ability to do it, otherwise it's not fair
      Staci Galvez

      Delete
  4. I want to hear what articles everyone chose to write about. What articles were more popular than the others?

    Lauren Farr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked the article "Why I am Pro-Life" by Thomas L. Friedman because, even though I cannot really state my oppinion on this matter in the second essay, I completely agree with the author.

      Anna Hollingsworth

      Delete
    2. I wrote about "THe satisfactories of housewifery". It was pretty interesting to read. The author definetly has a strong passion about her topic.
      Kaylee Moore

      Delete
  5. I think I have some ideas for articles for Disney buying Lucasfilm. The hard part is finding many credible sources, but I'll definitely be able to find both sides of the fence on this one.

    -Bryson C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These helped a lot to know what kind of article I was looking for also I used one of them for my essay and it turned out really well.
    -Taylor O.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These gave me a really good general idea on what things to search for. I didn't use any of them, but it made picking a topic easier.

    -Bailey M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't agree. I think it is a form of cheating. If your not going to play the sport fair, leave it to the people that will.

    Kaylee Moore

    ReplyDelete